To Get Vaccinated Or Not To Get Vaccinated...

 


That is the question!  Or at least it was the question for many as the roll out for vaccines began in December of 2020.  With the number of cases and deaths on the rise we were all afraid of where Covid-19 was headed and desperately wanted help in any and every way possible.  Thanks to the ongoing scientific measures that had been taking place throughout the years as it relates to infectious disease, the groundwork for creating a vaccine was already complete.  Scientist and medical professionals now had to roll up their sleeves and collect samples as well as volunteers to get the trial studies underway.  Even with all the tools and processes in place the timeline for producing and approving a safe vaccine for the American people and people all over the world was still questionable.  Meanwhile, as we waited patiently for aide, our world as we know it has changed completely.  We are now the "mask people".  CDC guidelines are changing almost everyday.  Businesses are closing around us.  Our kids are now our students.  Items that we had taken for granted our entire lives are now the hottest commodity on the grocery store shelves.  Human interaction as we know it will never be the same.  A hug.  A simple hug is now a distant memory for many of us.  Worst of all, our families have suffered from being seperated and from losing loved ones. 

 My social media timelines have been flooded with post of reports of death and request for prayers for people fighting to live.  Initially I was hesitant about getting vaccinated.  Our history as African Americans is grim to say the least when it comes to trusting new or experimental medical treatments.  The Tuskegee Experiment and The Case of Henrietta Lacks just to name a few are prime examples why black people have to think twice before we participate in any type of studies or roll up our sleeves for vaccinations.  It's sad but when you've been totally disregarded as a human being, mistreated by people you should be able to trust, you get a little bit of shell shock! It's completely understandable.  However, it can also hinder any type of medical advancement for African Americans so we have to educate ourselves as a community.  We have to pull together and share information and resources to become more equipped before making these decisions.  Click the link below to read about a church congregation in Harlem, New York that was approached by the Precision Medical Initiative about participating in medical research that would help prevent and treat disease.  There is also two links in the article that give an overview of the Tuskegee Experiment and The Case of Henrietta Lacks.


Even with my hesitancy, I still trust science and believed that Dr. Fauci and medical professionals genuinely had all of our best interest at heart.  After participating in several virtual events and doing my own research of data and trial outcomes on the CDC website I decided that it would be best for myself and vulnerable loved ones to get vaccinated.  My dad, who is 68 years old was the first of my family members to get fully vaccinated and he had no problems with either dose of the Moderna vaccine.  He was the one that really pushed me and gave me the courage to go ahead and get it.  After making my appointment (MyVaccine) for the first dose, I started seeing some chitter chatter in the media about businesses and airlines possibly requiring you to be fully vaccinated to fly or to visit their facility.  The last thing I want is for the world to open up again and I would have to wait to enjoy my life again.  That was the last dose of motivation I needed to get it done.  

There are several vaccines in circulation but only 3 now available in the U.S.  The illustration below shows all of the vaccines that are available and how effective they are.  I was vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine.  I delayed the release of this piece so that I could accurately report my reaction to the vaccine, if any.  I'm very pleased to report that a week and 2 days after receiving the Pfizer vaccine the only thing that I felt was soreness in my arm where the vaccine was administered.  I have a friend that had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine and said that she experienced flu like symptoms for a few days afterwards and I've heard that the Moderna vaccine has also given people flu like symptoms after the second dose.  Truth of the matter is, they could all have symptomatic results on anyone that receives them.  It's all a person by person account as to how they may affect you based on your personal medical history and immune system.  I highly recommend that anyone considering vaccination should first read the information available on the CDC website about what they contain and side effects as well as consult with your doctor before getting either of the vaccines.



One of the organizations that I support and go to for information on Covid-19 is Black 2 The Future Action Fund.  Click the link below to learn more about their action plan and how you can get involved.


One thing that crossed my mind after receiving my first dose was how would I let the people around me know that I had been vaccinated without stapling my vaccination card to my forehead? I had the idea to have some pins made that stated I had been vaccinated that I could wear everyday.  Not only would it give the people around me some comfort in knowing that I was at some level protected by the vaccine but it would also, hopefully, encourage my community to take the necessary steps to do the same.  If you are fully vaccinated and would like a GIDB vaccination pin, like and share this post!  Put your email address in the comment section and I will contact you to send you a pin. We're still not out of the water with this pandemic but at least now we can somewhat see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Do your research.  Consult with your doctor.  Set up your appointment to get vaccinated and Let's Get It Done Boss!



Comments

Popular Posts